Assignment Blog: Final Project

Well, the Final Project is finally here! I would to discuss my adventures with my gallery page this week. I had two choices to make:  (1) Create a gallery page that could host 12 images per the technique offered on the Lynda.com Dreamweaver 2014 CC tutorial, or (2) Create a gallery page using the image-enhancement technique shown to us by Prof. Petrik in class, which limited me to only nine images. Initially, I wanted to include the maximum number of cover or front-page images for each of my page’s three source publications. The Lynda.com tutorial’s technique allowed me to include four images for each publication, all with a nice color change to light blue when hovering over the image. After clicking on an image, the user was taken to a separate page with an enlarged version of the cover or front page matted against a white background and floated left. At first, I liked this technique, because it highlighted, without distraction to the user, the holistic impact of  experiencing the design, imagery, and typography of these publications much like the average American did during World War II.  The only downside to this approach was that I had to create 12 separate Web pages with a “return to gallery ” link on each page, causing the user to open numerous tabs on each click. I could not figure out how to avoid that dilemma.

I was eager to try Prof. Petrik’s technique; but, when I tested the image enhancements on my gallery page, they jumped out too quickly and were too large. The suddenness of that transition almost seemed violent — not an effect that I wanted for this Web site in particular.   I almost went back to the clunkier Lynda.com method until Prof. Petrik told me after class that I could adjust the speed and sizing of the image enhancements without creating a problem in the code. I went home and played with the CSS a bit; and, lo and behold, it worked perfectly. I made the images appear less suddenly (but not too slowly), and their enhanced size — roughly 1.5 times the normal size — looked great. I was sold on Prof. Petrik’s technique, and I’m happy that I was able to make it work to my satisfaction. Frankly, it’s the better way to create a gallery. Now I’m off to tweak the rest of my site and see what else I can improve upon.

Steve Rusiecki

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>